The Idaho Capitol Building has been a focal point of our state for more than 100 years. The building’s architects and our firm’s founders, J.E. Tourtellotte and Charles Hummel designed the building to withstand the test of time with a superstructure made of sandstone taken from Table Rock in Boise.
The dome and central parts of the building took seven years to complete between 1905 and 1912, while the original House and Senate chambers were finished in 1920. The then 200,000+ square foot building still comprises of its original carved marble, spanning over 50,000 square feet throughout the structure’s interior.
In 2008 Hummel, in conjunction with McAlvain Construction, provided the design/build services for the additions of the underground west and east wings of the Capitol. The wings sit 16 feet underground to preserve the exterior appearance of the historic building.
To this day, we consider Hummel’s first major project a staple of our firm’s success and a reminder of our ability to keep moving forward. As our reputation as the “builders of Idaho”, we know a lot has changed in the last 105 years – and we can tell that 2017 is no different. Like our structures, Hummel stands tall this year and for many years to come!